Local support


How to refer to your local service

Self-referral means you do not need to see your GP before seeing your local talking therapy service, however not all patients need to be referred this way. You can also speak to your GP who will be able to make a referral to the most appropriate service depending on your needs.

Devon patients

Devon patients can self refer to their local talking therapy service – TALKWORKS - online. The service is a free, confidential NHS service are open to anyone over the age of 18 - no matter what your gender, sexuality, age, race or belief. Any information you send to them is encrypted, which means it is not accessible to anyone outside of those services.

Areas covered by TALKWORKS:

  • Exeter (covers the city of Exeter)
  • East and Mid Devon (covers Okehampton to Axminster and from Tiverton to Exmouth and the surrounding areas)
  • North Devon (covers North Devon and Torridge Districts including Barnstaple, South Molton, Ilfracombe, Lynton, Bideford, Hartland, Torrington)
  • South and West Devon (covers South Hams & West Devon including; Tavistock, Ivybridge, Newton Abbot, Kingsbridge, Bovey Tracey and Dawlish)
  • Torbay (covers Paignton, Brixham and Torquay)

Patients from any of the above areas can self-refer here.

Plymouth patients

Patients in the Plymouth area can also self-refer into their local team, Plymouth Options (IAPT) Anxiety & Depression service, run by Livewell Southwest. You will also be able to access their free 1 hour workshops, which cover a range of health and wellbeing topics. Read more about these sessions here. A list of talking therapy sessions are also available, a list of these can be found on the right hand side of the Plymouth Options homepage.

If you are 16 years and over and registered with a Plymouth GP there are a number of ways that you can access the different services that Plymouth Options provide. You can self-refer to the team in the following ways:

The services we have listed for you are not acute services, so will not be suitable for people:

  • who are a high risk to themselves or others, such as current risk of suicide or serious self-harm
  • using other mental health services, such as the Community Mental Health Team 
  • who have current or severe and enduring mental health needs and as such require specialist services